Monday, February 27, 2012

Quit Clowning Around

This week's taster: Clown Shoes Clementine White Ale.

Let me begin by saying I'm down in Naples, Florida for the week for a vacation and a visit with my parents. Well, my parents, knowing about my blog, scoped out the Total Wines store in town and its massive beer section. When I got there, I couldn't believe my eyes. There was over 2,000 kinds of beer in this store. I would need a lot more than a week here to get through that number.

As I looked through this over-whelming amount of beer, one of the store's employees starting chatting to me. Dwaine knew just about every beer there was to offer in that store and had tried a good number of them. I picked up a few on his recommendation, and some simply because I liked the name or label.

The first one I tried was by a brewery named Clown Shoes, which I thought was a hilarious name. They had a lot to choose from, including Hoppy Feet, Tramp Stamp and Muffin Top to name a few. My new friend Dwaine recommended the Clementine White Ale to me, though he did say Tramp Stamp was good as well.

While I was excited about the Clementine beer, I was not overly thrilled about it to be honest. I could taste a bit of clementine as an aftertaste, but it was not as strong as I was hoping. What this left me tasting was mainly a basic white ale, which are not my favourites. This being said, if you like white ales it will give that hint of something new for you, but if you want to avoid that beer flavour than start with something else.

Cheers,
The Lager Lady

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your travels afforded you the opportunity to explore some beers outside of your comfort zone. Dwaine seems like a knowledgeable guy who knows his way around a bottle. His recommendation of the "tramp stamp" was especially insightful. You should do a post of beers to try for people who are looking to transition from liquor to a casual beer. Or maybe suit a beer for a situation (for example the beer to drink on a date or the beer to drink to impress your boss). Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American beer stores are the best! So much selection. Whenever I travel somewhere I always ask to try whatever the local brew is.

    The only bummer about reading this post is that I won't ever be able to buy it here to try it!

    z

    ReplyDelete