Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Fest for the Best

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending Hamilton's Food & Drink Fest after winning tickets from my fellow social media junkie Zoe Social. What a treat it was!

There were different food, wine and, most importantly, beer vendors set up around the venue that you could get samples from. The hardest part was deciding which breweries I would give a shot. But I decided I would limit it to only ones that I hadn't tried before.

First up was Railway City Brewing to taste their Roundhaus Pilsner. It was nice, light, typical refreshing beer. If you're looking to add a new staple beer to your fridge, this is definitely an option.

Second stop was at the Big Rock Brewery booth to try their Lime Light Lager. Expecting the lime to overpower the beer, I was pleasantly surprised at the subtle lime blended in with the beer. Nice hint of it, but don't expect it to cover the beer taste.

The third station that caught my eye was Flying Monkey which was nice and colourful. They asked what type of beer I like and I said usually something lighter, and they had the perfect answer: Antigravity Light Ale. The name says it all, no? Light, not filling a definite 'belly-friendly' beer.

And the last stop for my testing train was in British Columbia. Well, a BC brewery anyways. Granville Island Brewing had two of their beers on tap, and after talking to the rep he said that the Robson St. Hefenweizen is his all-time favourite, though he did warn me it tastes better on a patio in Van City. I gave the beer a try and it was definitely a unique wheat beer. It didn't have the normal citrus taste that I am so accustomed to, but it was definitely enjoyable. It kind of left me at a loss for words on how to describe it so this one I will say you have to try to judge it for yourself.

Moral of the story is, festivals and shows are a good way to try a variety of beers and talk the reps from the companies to see what they recommend. And with summer on its way I'm sure there will be lots more festivals on the way.

Cheers,
The Lager Lady

1 comment:

  1. ooh, so glad you enjoyed it! I had a blast too. I love that you get the opportunity to try things you wouldn't normally get the chance to try.

    And I agree, Granville Island beer IS better when you are on a patio in Van City! (though...I would agree that all beer is better when enjoyed on a patio.)

    z

    ReplyDelete